BMW R 75 and other BMW motorcycles in the German Army 1930–1945

BMW in the German Army

With the increase in demand for civilian market there were the Armed Forces officials who started to look closely at the machines with the blue-and white propeller sing. The demand increased significantly after announcing of the motorization program at the end of the twenties.
The first model, which drew the attention of the Ministry of the Reichswehr was mentioned earlier BMW R 52 and the heavy R 62. For their use primarily spoke optimum engine power – respectively, 12 HP (486 cm3) and 18 HP (745 cm3) and a solid construction. These models can therefore be regarded as the precursor of the military use of two-wheel vehicles from the capital of Bavaria. Number of them appeared on the ranges, however, three years later through another medium variant – BMW R 4. Summer of 1935 during maneuvers in Munster for the first time German Army presented the motorcycle battalion, the basis of which were the Zündapp K800 and BMW R 4 models.
In the Armed Forces of the Weimar Republic, and then – the Third Reich, motorcycles have been divided into three classes, to which the assignment was dependent on the capacity of the drive unit. In each of these Bayerische Motoren Werke AG significantly marked their participation.

zimowe-1--


The light military motorcylces (in German: leichte Kräder or Meldekräder) represented R 2, R 20 and R 23 models, which engines did not exceed the limit of 350 cm3. The first one was produced in five series between 1931 and 1936, and despite the relatively high price – 1000 German Marks enjoyed considerable popularity, especially among people who do not have permission to drive (since 1928 driving motorcycles with engine capacity below 200 cm3 did not need a license). It was an interest in the civil sphere was one of the cornerstones of the incorporation of this equipped with a single cylinder 198 cm3 and 6 HP engine (from the third series – 8 HP), to the Reichswehr. The vehicle, having a curved front to the front fork with a clearly visible leaf-spring suspension, holding the weight of one hundred and thirty kilograms is accelerated to a speed of 95 km / h (in the case of the 6 HP power unit – 80 km / h).
With the end of its production the company from Munich offered variant R 20. According to the predecessor this model was above all distinguished by a telescopic front wheel suspension, typical for this version, placed just above the axle, rubber shields as well as reduced to 192 cm3 engine capacity, having no effect on the power. Simultaneously the fuel tank was extended by two liters.
The last vehicle of the series in the inter-war era was about five kilograms heavier BMW R 23.The production of this variant lasted from 1938 to 1940. The vehicle was equipped with the engine with capacity of 247 cm3 and a power of 10 HP, which allowed to reach a maximum road speed of 95 km / h.
The first BMW military motorcycle representing the medium class (mittlere Kräder) and the first under the sign of a spinning propeller in general who became interested in military officials in Germany was the R 52 model. However, in this category company from Munich has established itself in 1932 with the produced through the next five years in five series and more than fifteen thousand copies, R 4 variant. The vehicle, originally considered as the primary purpose two-wheel vehicle of the army, was equipped with a single cylinder, OHV engine, having a capacity of 398 cm3 and the power of 12 HP initially, and eventually - 14 HP. As in the earlier models was the cardan shaft drive. Also uses dry clutch and manual transmission with four gears. Maximum road speed was ranked in the range of 110 km / h. The front wheel received the telescopic suspension, while the rear was rigidly mounted in a frame of pressed steel. External element that changed during the course of completing another sampling was front fender, initially (until the third series) with a shape similar to a lighter BMW R 2. The curb weight of the machine was one hundred and twenty kilograms. Because of its almost legendary reliability, the BMW R 4 found widespread use in both the civilian and military space, being used until the collapse of the Third Reich in training centers or by paramilitary organizations.
Despite the good performance both on road and in the field, the R 4 model with the time he began to give way line in units of his successor. Produced between 1937 and 1940 BMW R 35, sometimes called The Donkey (Esel), proved to be the most popular solo motorcycle, ever used by the German army. This one hundred fifty-five kilograms vehicle was propelled by 14 HP, 340 cm3 engine, obtaining on the highest, fourth postponement the speed of 100 km/h. With a balanced traveling at 60 km/h the fuel combustion finished in the borders of three liters per one hundred kilometers, which meant that the vehicle can be regarded as a very economical (the maximum road range was approximately four hundred kilometers). It is worth noting that as the only of all bikes offered by Bayerische Motoren Werke AG during the Weimar Republic and the Adolf Hitler, was also complete by the end of the World War II, the production in the factory of Eisenach, was continued until 1955.
Although the there was the Zündapp of Nuremberg which clearly dominated in the category of heavy motorcycles (schwere Kräder), the BMW proposed most of its two-wheel vehicles strictly in that group. Can not be ruled out that this fact was associated with the demand not only reported by the military but also civilian users, for which the heavy sidecar unit, was not too expensive, and relatively capacious and durable mean of transportation especially in the eve of great economic crisis and subsequent years. At the turn of the third and fourth decade of the twentieth century, the armed forces have stated so clearly the requirements for a set of machines equipped with engines with a capacity exceeding 500 cm3. Due to the anticipated use in a transportation role for the infantry in direct combat area, as well as poorly developed road network in Eastern Europe – the main direction of the planned German expansion, indicated that the ground clearance of the bike should be no less than 100 mm below the vehicle and 250 mm in a case of a sidecar.

tab

In 1928, the Ministry of the Reichswehr and the Board of BMW AG entered into an agreement under which over the next several months, the Army planned to provide reliable, heavy motorcycle. There was the R 62 model which were supposed to fulfill the army demand, with a two-cylinder 745 cm3 and 18 HP engine, being allowed to reach a maximum road speed of up 115 km/h.
Especially for use with a sidecar its successor was designed – BMW R 11, produced in five series between 1929 and 1934. Although already a successful debut at the Olympic Games in London in 1928, the military use of that variant was rather a temporary solution. The machine was equipped with 745 cm3 and 18 HP engine (the last production series showed a 20 HP). Three-speed transmission with dry single-plate clutch (since 1931 – double-plate) allowed to disperse the more than 160 kg vehicle to the top speed of 112 km/h Noteworthy is also the fact that the variety is described as the first in the history of motorcycles under the sign of a spinning propeller had a frame made of pressed steel sections and was equipped in standard with traffic lights and speedometer.

bmw Fot13


Approximated performance was characteristic for another model proposed to the Third Reich Army – BMW R 12, which was developed in the mid-thirties as an answer to the needs of a motor tourism increasingly popular in Western Europe. In the four years of production (1938-1941), the number of completed and sold exemplars could have reached even 38.000. The engine of this variant was a twin-cylinder 745 cm3 and 18 HP power unit with a single carburetor in an early version j (more popular in the army) or 20 HP in the case of the model with two. There were dry, double-plate clutch, and four hand-selected gear ratios installed too. The motorcycle reached a maximum speed of 110 km/h (single-carburetor model) and 120 km/h (double carburetor model). After attaching the sidecar it decreased to 85 km/h. The vehicle also had a number of innovative solutions, including in particular the depreciation of the telescopic front wheel with damping oil (the first of its kind in the world) and, as was the exception to the rule, rear drum brakes (so far was the most common variant of the jaws affecting the shaft). The confirmation of its popularity may be the fact that after 1942 it was one of the two (along with the BMW R 75) motorcycles bearing the symbol of a spinning propeller, manufactured for the Armed Forces of the Third Reich by the company from Munich.
Also another heavy motorcycle designed in Munich was bearing the name of the Wehrmachtsmodell or Wehrmachtskrad. Over 180 kg BMW R 61 has been designed nearly almost exclusively for a sidecar. The two-cylinder engine with a capacity of 587 cm3 and the power of 18 HP dispersed that variant to a speed of 100 km/h, and in the solo version – 115 km/h.
A year before the outbreak of the World War II, assembly halls in Munich began to leave the next version – BMW R 71 produced in parallel to the intended mainly for the civilian market variants: R 61, and sport R 51. This, finalized in the amount of three and a half thousand pieces vehicle was equipped with a two-cylinder 746 cm3 and 22 HP engine.  Curb weight in a solo variant was 190 kg, while the sidecar – about 300 kg. The vehicle accelerated, respectively to 125 km/h and 95 km/h.

 

PS06-bmw-okl-pl-ang

  • Recommended - Armour

Challenger 2
Challenger 2 The introduction into British army service of the Challenger...
Renault FT & M1917 Light Tanks
Renault FT & M1917 Light Tanks During its 25-year service, the Renault FT tank was used in many...
Operational History of the Hungarian Armoured Troops in World War II
Operational History of the Hungarian Armoured Troops in World War II In 1938, concurrently with German territorial demands, Hungary...